Thursday, December 1, 2016

Acorn Squash Stuffed with Turkey Sausage Risotto

These are quick notes before I forget what I've just created (aka, a feast... drool-worthy dinner... I can't wait to have it... hopefully my kids agree...)



Halve 3-4 acorn squash.
Drizzle with olive oil.
Season with salt.
Flip cut side down onto roasting tray.
Set aside.


In 9x13 pan, melt 3 tbsp butter and stir in:

2 c. arborio rice (or, in my case, because I was out: 1 c. arborio, 1 c. steel cut oats)

Add:
4 c. turkey broth
handful of golden raisins
handful of dried cranberries
2 small apples, diced
a dash of onion powder
dash of salt

Bake the risotto at the same time as acorn squash-- about 30 minutes at 400F.  I think I took the squash out at 20 minutes or so.

Meanwhile:

brown ground turkey in a skillet
stir in 1 tbsp red wine vinegar (or, in my house, grape juice blend or whatever you have on hand)
*seasoning blend
stir to combine.

*Click on blend above to go to the recipe I used, or use your own seasonings...

When the risotto comes out of the oven, stir in the ground turkey "sausage" and a healthy handful of shredded pecorino romano cheese.  Use this blend to stuff the acorn squash with.  Sprinkle a bit more cheese on top.

Here's the disclaimer:  I don't know what to do from here.  I plan to cover this with aluminum foil and make it hot at dinner time... so maybe 350F for 20-30 minutes? 40?  But if you were making this for dinner, you could just pop it in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or so to finish it off... maybe?

The risotto stuffing is my lunch.. with peas tossed in... and it is DELICIOUS.





No comments:

Post a Comment